By Laurie Burnham
Read Online or Download Rivers (Extreme Earth) PDF
Best weather books
Cirrus clouds are excessive, skinny, tropospheric clouds composed predominately of ice. within the final ten years, enormous paintings has proven that cirrus is widespread--more universal than formerly believed--and has an important effect on weather and worldwide switch. because the subsequent new release climate satellites are being designed, the effect of cirrus on distant sensing and the worldwide strength price range has to be well-known and accommodated.
An impartial and entire review, in line with the findings of the IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel on weather Change). utilizing no jargon, it appears at tackling and adapting to man-made weather switch, and works in the course of the frequently complicated power strategies. Bert Metz is the previous co-chair of the IPCC, on the middle of overseas weather swap negotiations.
The Arctic is now experiencing one of the most swift and serious weather swap in the world. Over the subsequent a hundred years, weather swap is predicted to speed up, contributing to significant actual, ecological, social, and financial adjustments, lots of that have already started. alterations in arctic weather also will impact the remainder of the area via elevated international warming and emerging sea degrees.
- The Future of the World's Climate, Second Edition
- New Theories and Predictions on Ozone Hole and Climate Change
- Space Physics
- Synoptic—Dynamic Meteorology and Weather Analysis and Forecasting: A Tribute to Fred Sanders
Extra info for Rivers (Extreme Earth)
In the modern era, numerous adventurers have tried to travel the Blue Nile by boat from Lake Tana to the sea. None have had an easy time of it. In 1972, for example, a four-man British team successfully navigated several white-water rapids that others had found impossible. But they quit the river after only 12 days, having been repeatedly attacked by crocodiles and gun-wielding Shifta bandits. Even as recently as 1999, a National Geographic Society expedition ran into numerous hazards, The Nile G 21 including crocodiles, armed militia, and multiple rapids that had to be portaged.
This cumulative affect accounts for the Amazon’s enormous watershed, technically called a drainage basin. The Amazon basin stays lush and damp year-round, fed by abundant rain. 4 m), though more rain falls from February to May (the rainy season) than from June to October (the dry season). Approximately 60 percent of the rain that falls enters the local at- The Amazon G 31 mosphere through transpiration (vapor loss from plants) and through direct evaporation. The other 40 percent comes from moisture-laden winds blowing inland from the Atlantic, in effect creating a mini–water cycle.
Rarely even does the waterway see rain. Yet the Nile manages to pass through the Sahara, where the Sun, heat, and aridity are intense and where evaporation rates are extremely high, without drying up. The Big Bend In the heart of the Sahara, not far from its confluence with the Atbara, the Nile does something surprising. It suddenly turns toward the southwest, as if falling over on itself, and flows some 185 miles (298 km) in the wrong direction before once again heading north toward the sea. This diversion takes the Nile 540 miles (869 km) out of its way.