By Sherry Butcher-Younghans
Historical condominium museums are available in approximately each urban within the usa and Canada. those are the houses of the earliest settlers, statesmen, frontiersmen, nice writers, artists, architects, and business magnates. those are the areas, rigorously stored and preserved, that symbolize a cultural background. regardless of their acceptance, it is common to discover museums which are in terrible fix, their collections overlooked and their staffs grossly overworked. Many are run by way of well-meaning and hard-working volunteers who've very little expert education. usually they continue to exist on shoestring budgets and may be able to current in simple terms constrained courses. Serving either as a hands-on advisor and reference, this ebook examines those difficulties, supplying useful suggestion and suggestions that are simply applied. Its beneficial "lessons" comprise governance, the place to discover aid, care of collections, conservation, defense, and interpretation--all designed to extend the professionalism of the ancient condo museum.
Read or Download Historic House Museums: A Practical Handbook for Their Care, Preservation, and Management PDF
Similar buildings books
Old apartment museums are available in approximately each urban within the usa and Canada. those are the houses of the earliest settlers, statesmen, frontiersmen, nice writers, artists, architects, and commercial magnates. those are the areas, conscientiously kept and preserved, that signify a cultural historical past.
- The Construction of a Good Death
- Trailersteading: How to Find, Buy, Retrofit, and Live Large in a Mobile Home
- UNSW Campus: A Guide to Its Architecture, Landscape and Public Art
- Classic Houses of Seattle: High Style to Vernacular, 1870-1950 (The Classic Houses Series)
- A House on the Water Inspiration for Living at the Water's Edge
Extra info for Historic House Museums: A Practical Handbook for Their Care, Preservation, and Management
The Old-House Starter Kit, available for a small fee, with literature that answers questions about rehabilitating an old house. An insurance program that offers replacement value on historic residences. , are to preserve our nation's cultural heritage. NIC has initiated numerous programs and projects to fulfill their goals. 29 30 Historic House Museums CONSERVATION ASSESSMENT PROGRAM The Conservation Assessment Program (CAP), funded by the Institute of Museum Services, provides noncompetitive grants to museums for conservation assessments.
4. On receipt of the object, the borrowing museum checks the condition report and reports any changes that might have occurred in transit. Procedures for inventories. A schedule should be established for taking inventory of the museum's collection. Procedures for insurance coverage. Dealing with lost or damaged objects and loans to other museums and keeping the insurance company apprised of new donations. Procedures for the appraisal of collections and how often it should be done. The guidelines provided above are just that, a guide.
Using the report as a basis, the museum can make long-range plans, build a network of museum contacts, prepare for accreditation, educate the staff and board, and strengthen fund-raising efforts. Where to Find the Help You Need American Association for State and Local History Established in 1940, the American Association for State and Local History (AASLH) has a strong tradition of serving historical organizations, especially smaller ones. Located in Nashville, Tennessee, AASLH is one of the most valuable resources for historic house museums, offering a variety of services.